Wednesday, December 22, 2010

What Jesus Runs From


The son of Mary, Jesus, hurries up a slope
as though a wild animal were chasing him.
Someone following him asks, Where are you going?
No one is after you. Are you the one
who says words over a dead person, so that
he wakes up? I am. Who then could possibly
cause you to run like this? Jesus explains.

I say the Great Name over the deaf and the blind,
they are healed. Over a stony mountainside
and it tears its mantle down to the navel.
But when I speak lovingly for hours with those
who take human warmth and mock it, when I say the Name
to them, nothing happens. They remain rock,
or turn to sand. Other diseases are ways for mercy
to enter, but this nonresponding breeds violence
and coldness toward God. I am fleeing from that. As
little by little air steals water, so praise
dries up and evaporates with foolish people who refuse to
change. Like cold stone you sit on, a cynic steals
body heat. He does not feel the sun. Jesus was not running
from anything. He was teaching in a new way.

4 comments:

The Solitary Walker said...

I know it's not directly to do with the Rumi, Ruth, but I'm intrigued about the pic. It could be the English Lake District, perhaps, but I'm not completely convinced.

Whatever - I want to go there and walk over that exquisite stone bridge!

Ruth said...

Robert, I'm glad your walking self was arrested by this extraordinary place. It is in Killarney National Park in Ireland, and I believe this is near Connor Pass. This was in 2006, the year of the severe drought, and I believe this gulch would otherwise be filled with water. I have been to this place twice, crossing it in a horse trap, profoundly wonderful!

The Solitary Walker said...

Of course! That emerald green! I should have guessed. I knew it didn't seem quite right for Britain, and I couldn't place that type of bridge anywhere else in Europe. Ireland just never occurred to me for some reason. I've only been to the east (I have cousins in County Wicklow), never to the south west, but it's high on my list.

Ruth said...

I highly recommend a day at Killarney. You can hike, take long boats across the lakes, jaunting cars through the countryside, hike. It's tremendous.

I wish we could have a blogger rendezvous -- you, George, Lorenzo, and anyone else of the trekking sort (I'd need to get some training in . . . )!